Monday, March 28, 2011

A rare Dogfish Head disappointment


More often than not, Dogfish Head delivers on its motto of "Off-Centered Ales for Off-Centered People." I've sampled more than a few of their brews and have usually come away quite satisfied.

Several months ago, the founder and owner, Sam Calagione, was featured on a Discovery Channel series, called "Brewmasters," which gave beer lovers an inside look at some of the brewery's unique creations (one is brewed with tea leaves, another with crystallized ginger)

Their Indian Brown Ale is one of my favorites, and DH's Raison D'Etre isn't far behind. The Milton, Delaware-based brewer also produced the highest content ABV I've ever had. The 18% Fort is made with pureed raspberries and straddles the line between beer and whiskey!

So it was with high expectations that I bought a four-pack of Aprihop, an IPA brewed with apricots. Usually I'm not a Pale Ale fan, but I thought Dogfish Head could deliver with a flavorful taste with a fruity undertone that somewhat balanced the beer's hoppiness.

But I found that while Aprihop wasn't excessively hoppy, the Apricot was hidden. I expected the sweetness of the fruit to really bring the beer to a higher level, but I just didn't get the flavor I hoped. Still, it was a quality beer and one that I would recommend to IPA fans. It just didn't reach the exceedingly high bar set by Dogfish Head, in my opinion.

Rating (out of five mugs): 2.5 mugs

No comments:

Post a Comment